How To Choose The Best Juicer
Because there are thousands of juice extractors on the market, you should ask yourself, before purchasing a juicer, what are important to you, when making your choice? There are some factors you should take into consideration:
- easy to cleaning
- speed of juicing (in rotation or watt power)
- what you will be juicing: fruits or vegetables
- noise level
- length of warranty
Juice extractor is a machine that mechanically separates juice from the pulp (solid part) of most fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, and herbs. The pulp is usually discarded, but can also be used in muffins and breads or composting. On market exists manual or electric juice extractors. Most juice extractors are electric, which requires less effort than their manual counterparts. Also, a juicer differs from a blender be cause a juicer separates the juice from the pulp.
Before purchasing a juicer, the most important thing to ask yourself is what type of juice do you want to drink? Some juicers are ideal for fruits and vegetables but they are unable to extract wheatgrass. For wheatgrass you must select a centrifugal juicer.
There are three main types of juicer (Wikipedia):
- centrifugal juicers – use blades and a sieve to separate juice from pulp (but cannot break the fibers of the grass); cuts up the fruit or vegetable with a flat cutting blade at a high speed, to separate the juice from the pulp
- masticating juicers – ‘chew’ fruit to a pulp before squeezing out the juice (good for wheatgrass); uses a profiled screw style moulding to compact and crush fruit and vegetable matter against a static screen, allowing juice to flow through the screen while pulp is expelled through a separate outlet
- triturating juicers – that have twin gears to first crush fruit and then press it (good for wheatgrass)
- citrus juicer – it works like the centrifugal juicer but is specialized for citrus (the strainer baskets catch the pulp)
Today, on market there are several styles of juicers and there is no perfect juicer that will perform every juicing operation with equal quality. Before purchasing an appliance, please evaluate your needs carefully. Also, you can find many juice recipes and several kinds of juicers to choose from, but first you must know that most juicing tips and techniques include recommendations to use a juicer that does not create excess heat, because the excess heat can destroy valuable nutrients existing in fruits and vegetables.
There is not a perfect juicer because fruits and vegetables have different properties. Fruits require a gentle extraction method. On the other hand, vegetables have fibrous, that requiring more aggressive mechanical juicing action than fruit. Due to their low acid content, it is recommended that vegetable juices be consumed within 15 minutes of their preparation, since it has been demonstrated that enzyme activity in juice 30 minutes old is one-half that of freshly made juice. The juices that are sold in the store (in the bottled or canned) will never oxidize because the juice has been heated to deactivate all the enzymes.
At HowToJuice.org the reviews you’ll find on the product pages may help you to decide which juicer is right for what you want to do.
If you invest in a juicer and use it daily, you’ll start feeling healthier and more energized that you thought was possible. There are a lot more features to consider when buying a juicer, so I recommend to watch the video below, were you can see several types of juicers and wich explain all of the features of these juicers and how to properly choose one that is perfect to you.
Filed under: Tips and Techniques
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!